15.12.06

few unconnected things
probably I am cured from my disease, fantastic…final answer will be May 2007!

My Christmas will be again far away from Portugal, I got used to it…working and staying together with others that are also far away from home! I will divide myself by two countries.

I’m reading again books…these last months my capacities only allowed to read in connection to my work…
… all that depressing facts and news about poverty, exploitation and dead!

I am reading again and again about history…Africa history and history of the world…good books with many new facts and information.

Again I turned to an author I like for his humor, Tony Hawks, the book “Playing the Moldovans at Tennis”.

But the book I’m enjoying the most for its short stories is a first book, received by the critics with enthusiasm: “A Thousand Years of Good Prayers”, of Yiyun Li.


A very small extract taken from the Guardian:
“There is always a road when you get into a mountain,” Auntie Wang, Granny Lin’s neighbour, says to her upon being informed of Granny Lin’s situation.
“And there is a Toyota wherever there is a road.” The second line of Toyota’s commercial slips out before Granny realizes it.
“There you go, Granny Lin. I know you are an optimistic person. Stay positive and you will find your Toyota.”

Her short stories tell us about the “imperial centuries of feudalism, Mao’s communism and cultural revolution, Tiananmen Square and the plunge into capitalism.”

No comments: